With the holiday season just around the corner, it is a good time for homeowners to ensure they have perfect plumbing. There is nothing worse than uncovering a plumbing issue while guests are sitting at the dinner table.
Your home's plumbing system is subjected to additional strain during this time of year. With all the extra cooking and dish washing, not to mention the additional house guests, your plumbing is really put to the test during the holiday season. Before the season is in full swing, prepare your plumbing for the increased workload to help avoid a plumbing disaster.
Fine-tune Your Toilet
Your toilet takes the most abuse during the holiday season. As guests stop by, some unexpected and some planned for, the old commode really gets a work out. Taking the time fine-tune the porcelain god can help you to avoid a messy disaster.
- Replace the toilet flapper. The rubber device located in the bottom of the toilet tank can deteriorate over time. When this happens, your toilet continues to run wasting water and your money. It can also lead to an overflowing toilet, which can cause significant damage to your home.
Avoid potential drain blockages by cleaning your drains. The extra cooking as well as additional house guests means extra water flowing down your home's sewer lines. Some minor maintenance performed on your drains ahead of time might spare you the experience of a major blockage.
- Pour baking soda in your drains and then flush them with scalding water. That will clean the drains and reduce the odors associated with them.
- Clean the pop up drain assemblies in both your tub and bathroom sink drains. These contraptions are notorious for trapping hair and all sorts of other debris and clogging the drain.
- Homes with sluggish drains throughout the entire household might require the services of a professional plumber. Blockages such as tree roots or even a collapsing pipe can severely restrict drainage and lead to a plumbing mishap.
Be Nice to Your Garbage Disposal
Be wary of what goes into the garbage disposal. Bones, dinnerware and even dishtowels somehow find their way into this handy appliance.
- Place a sink strainer over the garbage disposal opening to guard against harmful items being washed down.
- Keep the garbage disposal wrench handy in case it becomes jammed.
Hot Water Heater Maintenance
This silent, under appreciated workhorse is crucial to your household year round. However, during the holidays, the appliance works even harder.
- Drain and flush the water heater to remove built up sediment that can adversely affect its performance.
- Folks expecting overnight guests should consider turning up the thermostat to ensure plenty of hot water for bathing.
Abiding by these holiday plumbing tips helps you to provide perfect plumbing for you and your guests during this blissful season. For answers to your questions, contact the Pink Plumber today.