If your house smells like sewage, you need help—fast. Not only is the smell of sewage horrible, but it's noxious, too. Sewage is hazardous to your health and can cause health issues if left unchecked. The minute you notice the foul odor, get expert help.
A Septic Tank Gone Awry
When your septic tank is damaged or you've failed to maintain the system, you'll start noticing the smell of sewage inside your home. If you notice the foul odor, it's usually due to one of these causes:
- The trap: Your home's basement drains have traps that should prevent septic tank gases from back-venting into the home. If the trap is drying out or damaged in some way, it will let the gases backdraft.
- The plumbing vent: On the roof, the vent equalizes pressure created in the drainage pipes when water moves through them. It's possible for the vents to freeze shut if the temperature drops, or leaves could be clogging the pipes. It's also possible that the plumbing vent is too small or too short.
- The ejector pump: If the cover on the sump pump's basket doesn't create an effective seal, you may notice sewage odors.
Taking Care of Septic Odors
Most Atlanta homeowners don't want to deal with finding and fixing a problem when their house smells like sewage, nor should they. It's best to contact an expert and let the plumber assess the following:
- The trap, determining if it needs to be filled with water or whether the cleanout access has a loose plug.
- The safety of the plumbing vent, ensuring that nothing is blocking it.
- The size and length of the plumbing vent, resolving any issues that are causing the offensive odor.
- The seal on the ejector sump pump, inspecting the seals and ensuring it doesn't leak.
The plumber will also conduct a comprehensive assessment of the septic tank to find the problem, looking for compromised toilet seals, leaky plastic pipe, damaged vent pipes, problematic drainfields, blocked sewer pipes, lost traps on plumbing fixtures, and issues related to poor installation or maintenance.
Scheduling seasonal maintenance and promptly repairing the system ensures a healthy home and a reliable septic tank. Don't leave your family's health to chance, or risk a costly replacement due to neglecting septic maintenance. We're happy to help our neighbors with drain cleaning, sewer repair and leak detection.
For answers to your questions, contact the Pink Plumber today!