Home Insurance for Plumbing Leaks: Know What’s Covered


Home Insurance for Plumbing Leaks: Know What’s Covered

Home insurance for plumbing leaks. It's one of those things you probably don't think about until disaster strikes. A pipe breaks or the washing machine overflows. Will the cost of repairs be covered by your homeowners insurance?

Water damage that arises from outdoor flooding — from heavy rains, mudslides, overflowing river — is generally not covered under a standard homeowners policy. Separate flood insurance would be required to cover the costs of damages from these types of natural events.

Just about all the insurance companies urge homeowners to keep up with maintenance and repair. While it's important to read the fine print of your homeowners insurance and talk to someone from your company directly, in most cases any type of sudden and accidental water damage that originates inside your home is covered. Specifically, the resulting damage is covered but the cost to repair what originally caused the water damage is not.

So, if your washing machine inexplicably overflows with water and floods your laundry room and into the hardwood floor of a nearby dining room, your insurance would cover the cost to replace the wood floor and baseboards. It wouldn't cover the cost to repair your washing machine. Keep in mind, in most cases, you'll have a deductible (an amount paid out-of-pocket before the insurance company pays) to fork over. If you have an older policy, you might be covered by pipe failure.

Another caveat when it comes to home insurance for plumbing leaks is mold coverage, which might not be covered in full. Again, you'll want to check with your company to see what your particular policy covers. If the source of the mold is flooding or not keeping up with maintenance and repairs, it probably won't be covered. But if the mold sprung into action after an indoor sudden event, like a burst pipe, you might be helped by your homeowners insurance.

The best thing you can do to avoid any type of sudden water damage is to stay on top of maintenance and repairs. The Insurance Institute for Business and Home Safety says the most common water damage claims from within the house and how to help prevent them are:

  • Plumbing supply system failure. If you notice anything unusual — banging pipes, rust stain, increased water bill — you should call a plumber.
  • Toilet failure. Inspect your toilets components a couple times a year. Look at the fill, supply and flush valves, and the supply line.
  • Water heater failure. Replace the water heater when recommended by the manufacturer. Flush out sediment at least once a year.
  • Plumbing drain system failure. Don't pour grease down the drain. Make sure you have a backflow prevention assembly in your home's sewer system if you're connected to the local municipal sewer system.
  • Washing machine failure. Replace the rubber hoses about every three years and upgrade to braided steel hoses.

For help with any of your plumbing needs, contact The Pink Plumber today.