A clogged sink is inconvenient, frustrating and generally unpleasant. Thankfully, it is also often preventable. Bathroom sink clogs often are caused by hair. Beauty products can exacerbate the problem by getting stuck in the hair (or anything else inside the drain), forming a mass of goo that prevents your sink from draining properly.
What Kind of Makeup Can Clog Your Drain?
Technically, any kind of cosmetic product can contribute to a clogged drain. Thick liquid foundations are particularly problematic because they can coat the inside of the pipe and bind with hair and other gunk in the drain. Powdery products such as eye shadow can also cause trouble if allowed to accumulate over time. In combination, these products can even cause damage to your pipes.
Preventing Drain Clogs in Your Bathroom Sink
Keeping makeup products out of your drain is the best way to prevent any cosmetic-related clogs. Use these tips to help you keep your drain clear without sacrificing your beauty regimen.
- Use a drain catcher. Install a catcher on your drain to prevent hair from slipping down it. A ball of hair in your drain is the perfect framework for a cosmetic product gunk ball to form.
- Use makeup-removing cloths. Before you wash your face in the sink, take off the majority of your makeup with gentle cleaning wipes. (Just don't flush the wipes after using them.)
- Never dispose of cosmetics down the drain. It's one thing if small amounts of cosmetic products to go down the drain as you wash your hands or face. It's quite another to actually dump makeup down the drain.
- Don't leave young children unattended around the sink. Toddlers and younger children are notoriously curious. But healthy curiosity can lead them to pour or shove inappropriate items down the drain. Never let little ones get hold of your cosmetics or play in the bathroom unattended.
Other Substances that Cause Clogged Drains
Makeup isn't the only beauty or hygiene product that can cause a clogged sink. Below are other common culprits:
- Lotions and moisturizers
- Shaving cream
- Hair gel and other hair products
- Coconut oil
When in doubt, don't put it down your drain. If you have questions about a clogged drain or any other plumbing issue, contact The Pink Plumber today.